How Many Complications Can a Missing Crown Lead to?
When your dental crown comes out, you will need to know the proper steps to take to protect your restoration. Dental crowns can fall out as a result of tooth decay, an injury, or even tooth grinding. Though a crown falling out can be worrisome, our staff at Made Ya Smile The Woodlands, TX can help. We will examine your tooth to decide the proper way to improve your smile at our The Woodlands, TX dental facility. We may also analyze the tooth to determine the reason it fell out, forwarding us the best course of action to avoid harmful bacteria from reaching the tooth's inner cavity. Ultimately, you need to take care of the tooth underneath promptly before it can end up being difficult to rectify.
Things to do if your dental crown falls off
If a dental crown has fallen off, follow these measures to efficiently protect your tooth:
- Take the crown out of your mouth: Firstly, try not to lose it. As soon as you remove your crown, place it in a clean cloth to transport to our practice.
- Contact an emergency dentist: Call Made Ya Smile The Woodlands, TX to arrange an emergency dentist appointment to have your crown fixed.
- Utilize nonpermanent filling material: This serves to safeguard the tooth until your dental visit and make sure no food gets lodged into the fractured tooth. First, clean the tooth thoroughly before concealing it with the filling material.
- Clean it: Great oral care is always critical, but it's especially vital if you have a dental crown that has come out. Rinse your mouth with heated up salt water after meals to eradicate debris.
- Be careful with what you eat: When you’re going through dental sensitivity or pain, try to chew food on the other side of the mouth.
By following these guidelines, you can feel reassured that you’re not ruining it further.
What do dental crowns do?
Crowns are caps that are situated on top of an existing tooth. Crowns are used to reinvigorate a tooth with a severe cavity or to safeguard the remainder of the tooth from additional damage. They also help keep your bite straight. Before readying the tooth for a crown, patients will receive a numbing injection to stay comfortable throughout the procedure. Once the patient has lost feeling in the area, we prepare the tooth by getting rid of all damage. The tooth could be reshaped at a later point to match the size of neighboring teeth.
How long can dental crowns last?
Patients must know that dental crowns won't last forever. Steer clear of clenching or grinding your teeth since this friction can damage a dental crown. A custom night guard might help protect your crown, as well as your other teeth. Furthermore, don’t crunch on hard objects, such as ice, pens, or certain types of candy. With excellent oral hygiene, yearly exams, and routine cleanings, crowns can stay in good condition for up to 15 – 20 years.
Discover more about dental crowns in The Woodlands, TX
At Made Ya Smile The Woodlands, TX, our dentists will assess your tooth to figure out the most effective dental crown repair plan. Depending on how damaged your restoration is, we could fix it using resin. However, your crown might have to be remolded. In more serious situations, a new crown may be necessary. Call our The Woodlands, TX office today to set up an emergency dental appointment to have your crown repaired.